It is important to realize the fact that the buyer is buying an imagined product. The buyer never gets to touch and feel the product and hence derives the shape and form of the object by its photograph, its specification and its description. Here are the key points that make for a good product listing.
1. Having a great photograph of a product, doesn’t require you to own a DSLR Camera or get a professional shoot. Make sure the product is set on a clear plain background, set up ample lighting (either broad daylight or multiple indoor lighting sources. See some simple examples here
2. Post Multiple pictures of your product. Every design must be visible from multiple angles to get a sense of the dimensions and colors. When a buyer lands on a page with a single photograph, the tendency is to click away to some other design rather than stay on the design and explore more.
3. Copyright . The designer should have a copyright of the images.
1. Dimensions – Mention the length, width and weight of the items. If there are different parts to the design, specifically mention the sizes of each part. If this are adjustable/extendable, mention it here
2. Materials – What is the item made up of? Stones, fabric, base metals, plastic/wood, polish etc. needs to be mentioned. We get a lot of queries on live chat asking about these
3. Colors – What’s the primary and alternate colors of the design
4. Items – Specify what exactly is available in this listing. If earrings are available with the necklace explicitly mention that. If you are combining 3 items in 1 listing, specify that the price is for all 3.
In addition to the specification, the description assists the buyers purchase decision. You need to make the buyer feel comfortable about the purchase and the more information you can provide the better. You can use this section as below
1. Tell a story about why this piece is special and unique
2. Suggest where this can be used and what this can be paired up with. For Apparel and accessories, what occasions can this be used at.
3. Provide assurances on longevity/lifetime of the item
The listing title is important because it shows up at several places. When some user likes a design, the title is referenced in their facebook post. The title also has a lot of SEO value (affects search engine ranking) and hence should contain keywords relevant to the design. Using product codes as title is just a bad idea.