Losing weight is a way more difficult task than putting it on. The main reason why people become overweight is because of the busy lifestyle. To put it in simple words, we can say that people don’t care about their health. The corporate lifestyle and the hunger to earn money has eaten them from the inside. People hardly care about what goes into their mouth and hence, they end up becoming overweight.
Now that you have gained weight, the road to being slim again is a long and difficult one. You have to comply with the diet and exercise regime. To lose weight, you need to set short term goals for the long term. Below are some tips which might come in handy and may help to get back in shape.
- BREAKFAST IS IMPORTANT: Breakfast is perhaps the most important meal of the day. Because it is the first meal of the day, it needs to be a hearty one. A good breakfast will keep you away from binging on sugar and salt-rich snacks. In your breakfast, aim to consume anywhere between 400 – 600 calories. The breakfast must include food items like eggs, beans, nuts, whole grain bread, fruits, yogurt and so on. All these items are potent sources of proteins and dietary fibers. These food items are low on sugar content and hence prove to be a great opening meal of the day.
- INCLUDE WHOLE FOODS IN YOUR DIET: It is important that you don’t consume processed or packaged food. These food items are rich in salt content and salt is a potent source of sodium. Sodium can be a hindrance on your journey to a slim body. Make sure that everything you consume is natural and fresh. If you feel hungry, fill yourself with fruits, vegetables, lean protein, whole grains, and low-fat dairy products.
- STAY AWAY FROM SALT: Do not starve yourself. Since fresh and whole foods are not always available when you are hungry, you can bank on low salt snacks. Low salt snack can be defined as a snack that has a salt content of 140 mg or less per serving. Looking at the rise in demand for low sugar snacks, many companies have come out with their low salt snacks.
- COFFEE IS AN ANTIOXIDANT: There is nothing better than starting the day with a cup of coffee. Also, coffee contains caffeine which is a natural diuretic. Caffeine is an antioxidant and hence it plays a pivotal role in flushing out impurities from the body. An unknown benefit of caffeine is that it protects the cells from damage. You can also, consume green tea which is known to cut fat from the body.
- STAY AWAY FROM SUGAR: Sugar and salt are called white poisons. Overconsumption of these preservatives have a detrimental effect on the body. Aerated drinks and packaged juices are full of sugars and preservatives. High concentration of sugar can cause dehydration which is not a good thing especially when you are on a weight loss regime. Drink coconut water, lemonade, and fruit juices extracted at home. This way you can literally and figuratively keep a check on the quantity of sugar that goes into your body.
- BUY DUMBELLS: You don’t necessarily need to hit the gym when trying to lose weight. All you have to do is inculcate the right eating habits and buy a pair of pair of dumbbells which you are comfortable lifting. Use those dumbbells to build strength and burn more calories along the way. Some simple exercises which you can do using these dumbbells are weighted squats, weighted lunges, bicep curls, triceps extensions, chest press and so on. If you choose a light set of dumbbells, try to kill as many reps as possible and if you go for a heavier set of dumbbells, try to increase the number of sets. Also, it is important that you don’t overdo it. Exercise in moderation i.e., 4 – 5 times a week for an hour or so.
- SPICE UP YOUR FOOD: When you eat foods loaded with spices, your body releases stress hormones like adrenaline. This surge in the release of adrenaline can actually help you torch those extra calories. Some spices that increase the release of adrenaline are black pepper, oregano, ginger, turmeric, jalapeno etc.
- GO TO BED EARLY: “Early to bed, early to rise, makes a man healthy wealthy and wise”.It might sound funny to some of you but it is true that if the quality and quantity of sleep that you are getting is poor, it can actually slow down your metabolism. Get at least 7 – 8 hours of quality sleep. This will help you shed those extra kilos in a jiffy.
- WRITE WHAT YOU EAT: It has been proved through various scientific researches and studies that people who keep a check on what goes into their mouth by writing it down in a diary are actually able to lose weight more quickly. There are several apps which you can use to mind your calorie intake. Also, you can check which area of your diet plan needs amendments.
- EXERCISE: Exercise doesn’t mean that you have to hit the gym every so often. Low impact activities like cycling, walking, running, hiking and so on act as a catalyst on your way to weight loss. These activities increase your metabolism and keep it that way for a couple of hours. So, if you take a meal rich in proteins and dietary fiber right after such workout, it can work wonders for you. As the metabolism is high, all the nutrients from the food will be extracted and absorbed by your body quickly.
- DON’T SKIP MEALS: Skipping meals in hopes that it will assist in weight loss is utterly unrealistic. You will be energy deprived if you skip meals. Also, your metabolism will slow down and you might also end up overeating in the next meal. The key here is to take 3 main meals and 1 or two small meals in between them and never ever starve yourself.
- EAT FOODS HAVING RICH WATER CONTENT: You certainly need to drink a gallon of water when you are on such a tight diet. You should also consume food items that are rich in water content. Cucumbers, watermelon, tomatoes, grapes and so on are some food items which mainly comprise water. These items also have diuretic properties and fiber content. You simply cannot go wrong with these food items.
- BINGE ON MINERALS: Nuts and dairy products are rich in minerals. You can eat these when you feel hungry. These food items have countless health benefits like lowering blood pressure, controlling blood sugar, and reducing the risk of chronic disease overall.
- DON’T FALL FOR GIMMICKS: Some people may say that adding some sauces to your salad can make delicious without giving you those extra calories. But the truth is that as soon as you add sauces to your salad, you take more harm from it than good.
- REWARD YOURSELF: You have worked hard the entire week, reward yourself with 200 calories of deliciousness.