Finding the right bra might not be as tough as it may seem, you just have to know the right tricks. Women find it really hard to find the right bra over any other type of clothing, as they are not informed enough about this intimate wear. Research has shown that almost 75% of the women wear the wrong bra size and if you are plus size, then things can get worse.
Unlike other types of clothing, there are no full proof calculator that can define your bra size. So you would have to measure it all by yourself. This means you would go through some trial and error, ultimately to find the best size for yourself. When your bra fits you right, your waist would look slimmer and you would look overall taller. If you are suffering from a shoulder or back pain then right bra can relieve you from the discomfort.
Measuring the right size of bra
You would first need to take a tape and then measure the size of the bra. Stand in front of the mirror and look up for the right fit. You would need to measure different types of elements in order to understand the right size of your bra:
- Band size- Put the tape around your chest and measure it properly. Do it just below your underarms and remember that the tape measure should be kept firm on your body. Make sure that it is not squeezing you. In case you get an odd number, round it up.
- Bust size- Take the tape and measure the fullest part of your breast line. Make sure that you keep the tape loose.
- Cup size- Subtracting band size from the bust size would give you the cup size. This means Cup size = Bust Size – Band Size. If the Band Size is 40 and Bust size is 45, then , Cup size= 45 – 40 = 5.
Things to Remember
Now that you know the right, here are a few things that you should know about bras:
- Band- The weight of your breast is mostly carried by the band of the bra. When the band size of your bra is perfect, you would notice that your breasts would get good support. You should buy a bra that would fit to the loosest hook. This would ensure that as the elastic of the bra wears out with the passing time, you would be able to fit it accordingly. Check if you are facing any bra related problems like falling straps, cup gaps, side overflow of breast, etc. then choose the right fit of your bra accordingly. Try to fit a finger between the bra band and your body, if there is no gap then the bra is tight and vice-versa.
- Center Gore- The centre gore should be tight enough not to let your breast fall to the bottom.
- Cups- Your bra should look smooth and full. In case there is a gap in the cups of your bra, then you would need to go a size down. If you see spillage at the side or the top of the bra cups, then it means that you would need a bra with fuller coverage or bras with higher side. If you wear an underwired bra, then check if it is riding up. In case it does, then go for a larger size of cups. In case the underwire is pinching or poking your body, then it’s high time that you buy a new bra.
- Straps- Always go for straps that are adjustable so that as the elastic loosens overtime, you would be able to tighten it. If you see a reddish imprint of the bra strap on your shoulders, it means that your bra straps are digging into your shoulders. This can be solved by adjusting your bra straps or switch to convertible straps. If this does not work, then go for a different band size. In case the strap slips off your shoulder, try to adjust the straps. In case that does not work then it is the right time to buy a new bra.
We hope you will be able to buy the right bra after reading the article. You might have to go through some trial and error initially but after a few adjustments, you would be able to get the right bra size.